Tech sheet for the LIMINAL installation
Technically, the work consists of several components:
Provided by the artist:
- An illuminated aluminum ring that can be disassembled into four segments. Each arc is 215 cm long, with a flat segment that rests along the floor (see plan below)
- An Arduino-based circuit that controls LED strip dimming
- A high-quality USB camera on one side of the ring
- A Windows computer running Derivative TouchDesigner
- Various cables and adapters
Ideally sourced on-site:
- A short-throw HD or 4K projector
- A plinth for the projector (approx. one-meter cube) that is also used to conceal the computer
- A pair of actively amplified speakers
- A projection screen in the case where a wall projection is not possible (see space requirements below)
All equipment can be provided by the artist, but it would be advisable to source a projector, speakers and a plinth locally for both economic and sustainability reasons.
The ring is made of 2 cm square U-channel aluminum, covered in white acrylic on the open side. It can stand under its own weight, but needs to be balanced with thin nylon or metal cables that are ideally attached to the ceiling. Alternatively, it is also possible to attach it to nearby walls. In the case where ceiling or wall attachment is unfeasible, cinema C-stands with sandbags can be considered as a last resort option. The ring is designed to be portable and easily assembled.
In terms of space requirements, refer to the above plans along with these guidelines:
- A volume that is approximately 4 m long x 3 m wide x 2.5 m high is required
- An adjoining white wall that is at least 2.75 m wide is required on the narrow side – alternatively, a projection screen can be used
- A ceiling-mounted projector would be ideal, alternatively, it can be placed on a plinth
- The space must be dim enough to use a projector
- The space must be quiet enough to hear the output of the speakers (including low frequencies)
- There should be the possibility to attach two cables to the ceiling, or alternatively to the walls – the tension is less than 2 kg
Electricity requirements are minimal and flexible – 120-240v, 50-60Hz, 600 watts maximum.
The installation is designed to function on its own and requires minimal supervision or maintenance. The only requirement is to turn the projector and the LED lights on and off in the mornings and evenings. Any software issue can be handled remotely by the artist via a remote desktop connection.
A reasonable-speed internet connection is required (wired or wireless).